Laurence J. Hasson
Laurence J. Hasson received his bachelor’s degree in 2003 from Brandeis University (B.A., History and American Studies), graduating magna cum laude and with Phi Beta Kappa and Phi Alpha Theta honors, and received his J.D. in 2006 from the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, where he was a Heyman Scholar, a board member of the award-winning Moot Court Honors Society, and competitively selected to participate in the Bet Tzedek Legal Services Clinic.
Mr. Hasson concentrates his practice on securities, commercial, and complex class action litigation, and he is also a member of the Firm’s qui tam/whistleblower practice group. Mr. Hasson has been selected by Super Lawyers Magazine to the New York Metro Rising Stars list for 2015-2017. He was also recommended by The Legal 500 in 2013.
Prior to becoming associated with the Firm in June 2012, Mr. Hasson was an associate at Bernstein Litowitz Berger & Grossmann LLP, where he worked as a member of the firm’s New Matter team responsible for, among other things, advising institutional investors worldwide on securities litigation and litigation strategy.
While at the Firm, Mr. Hasson has worked on numerous class actions that have resulted in substantial recoveries for investors, including: City of Austin Police Retirement System v. Kinross Gold Corporation, No. 12-CV-01203-VEC (S.D.N.Y.) ($33 million recovery), In re Tower Group International, Ltd. Securities Litigation, 13-CV-5852-AT (S.D.N.Y.) (settlement of $20.5 million with Tower defendants); Peters v. Jinkosolar Holding Co., Ltd., No. 11-CV-07133-JPO (S.D.N.Y.) ($5.05 million recovery); and In re KIT Digital, Inc. Securities Litigation, No. 12-CV-4199 (S.D.N.Y.) ($6 million recovery).
Mr. Hasson was also competitively selected to join the Federal Bar Council’s Inn of Court, through which he, along with a small team led by a federal judge, develops and presents programming for continuing legal education. Mr. Hasson has presented in several such programs, including:
- “First Amendment and National Security,” which was held on January 8, 2013 at the Theodore Roosevelt United States Courthouse in Brooklyn, New York;
- “Who Owns the Past? Cultural Property Repatriation and Where We Are Today,” which was held on December 9, 2014 at the Museum of Jewish Heritage in New York, New York;
- “United States v. New York Times: A Reenactment of The Pentagon Papers Case,” which was held on January 15, 2015 at the Thurgood Marshall U.S. Courthouse in New York, New York. This presentation was part of the 225th Anniversary Celebration of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York;
- “Sex, Lies, Still Photos & Videotape. Many Wrongs? Any Rights?,” which was held on April 12, 2016 at the Daniel Patrick Moynihan United States Courthouse in New York, New York; and
- “The Current Wars”, which was held on November 15, 2016 at the Theodore Roosevelt United States Courthouse in Brooklyn, New York.
Mr. Hasson is admitted to the Bar of the State of New York and to practice before the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, and the United States District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York.